I am clinging onto the summer like a baby monkey clings to its mother and I refuse to let go.
So today I want to share some sunshine with you to brighten your day, no matter what the weather is outside. This week, I have been fortunate to meet Rena and her adorable son Ray, from Ray of Sun.
The Ray of Sun organisation delivers a “box of sunshine” to children who are going through a traumatic event in their life, such as the loss of a parent or a serious illness, to help brighten up their day. These sunshine boxes are hand painted and contain a range of yellow toys and treats. In addition to these purchased boxes, Ray of Sun also donates boxes to children in need.
I had a great day in the kitchen with Rena and Ray creating this cute Flower Pot Sundae Recipe that is sure to add a ray of sunshine to your day. This recipe is so much fun, is very easy to make, and the resulting Flower Pots are so much fun – this is the perfect children’s recipe and a fun dessert for childrens parties.
The key component of the sundae is banana ice cream, which made using only frozen bananas and a splash of milk, so it’s a pretty healthy dessert. It is also easy to substitute the ingredients with allergy-free alternatives if making these for children who suffer from food allergies.
Click on the image below to watch our step-by-step video recipe:
Before you start, you’ll need to freeze your bananas for the banana ice cream. Do this by peeling and chopping the bananas into small, evenly sized pieces and placing them in the freezer for at least 2 hours. We used this cute Green Monster Sandwich Bag to freeze my bananas – I hate, hate, hate using environmentally damaging disposable plastic bags!
Once frozen, simply place the frozen banana pieces into a small food processor or a good blender, with a splash of milk. Pulse the banana, stopping at regular intervals to scrape the sides and add more milk as necessary, until the mixture turns smooth and creamy. It will have the consistency of soft-serve ice cream.
Now for the fun to begin – making the Flower Pots!
Simply slice the cake into four 1 inch thick slices and using the bottom of your ice cream tub, cut the slices into four circles to fit the bottom of your tubs. We used Tovolo Mini Sweet Treat Ice Cream Tubs, but you can use any small tubs, bowls, ice cream coups, or drinking glasses. Press a circle of cake firmly into the bottom of each flower pot tub.
Now cut your drinking straws so that they are slightly shorter than the height of the flower pot. Stick one straw into the center of each pot, using the cake to hold it upright. Spoon the banana ice cream into each of the pots, around the straw, until it almost reaches the top of the straw.
Using a blender or food processor, blend the Oreo cookies to make the cookie soil/dirt. NOTE: You don’t need to remove the cream from the cookies, it magically disappears while they are blending! Sprinkle the cookie dirt over the ice cream.
Place a couple of the gummy worms onto the top of each tub so it looks like the worms are crawling out of the soil – eeewwwww! – and add a flower into the top of each straw.
Serve immediately to enjoy your Ray of Sun Flower Pot Sundae at it’s best!
To find out more and place your orders for a Box of Sunshine, please visit the Ray of Sun website.
Ray of Sun Flower Pot Sundaes
- 1 Sponge Cake / Pound Cake
- Splash of Milk
- 4 Bananas, Sliced and Frozen
- 4-5 Oreo Sandwich Cookies
- 8 Gummy Worms
- Blender or Food Processor
- 4 Small Ice Cream Tubs / Sundae Coups
- 4 Drinking Straws
- 4 Flowers
To Make the Banana Ice Cream:
- Peel and chop the bananas into small, evenly sized pieces and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Place the frozen banana pieces into a small food processor or a good blender.
- Pulse the banana, stopping at regular intervals to scrape the sides and add a splash of milk, until the mixture turns smooth and creamy.
To Construct the Flower Pots:
- Slice the cake into four 1 inch thick slices.
- Using the bottom of your ice cream tub, cut the cake slices into four circles that are the same size as the bottom of your ice cream tub.
- Place one circle of cake into the bottom of each of your flower pots, pressing them down firmly into the bottom.
- Now cut your drinking straws so that they are slightly shorter than the height of the flower pot.
- Stick one straw into the center of each pot, using the cake to hold it in place.
- Spoon the banana ice cream into the pots, working it around the straw, until it almost reaches the top of the straw.
- Using a blender or food processor, blend the Oreo cookies to make cookie soil/dirt.
- Cover the ice cream with lots of the crushed cookie soil/dirt.
- Add the gummy worms to the tubs so it looks like they are crawling out of the soil.
- Place a flower into the top of each straw.
3 thoughts on “Ray of Sun Flower Pot Sundaes”
Loved your recipe
LikeLiked by 1 person
LikeLiked by 1 person