I am suffering from OCD, otherwise known as Obsessive Cookie Disorder.
Ever since I made those adorable Flower Pot Sundaes with Ray and Rena from Ray of Sun, the boxes of leftover Oreo’s have been crying out to me. I am like a modern day Alice in Wonderland, innocently lured to devour the cake that was agreeably labelled EAT ME, except my cake is pile of cookies that never seems to dwindle despite my hourly “just one more cookie won’t hurt” mantra.
Do I see this as a “problem” to be solved? Uh, I guess! The solution? This simple, 4 ingredient Cookies and Cream Cereal Bar Recipe. A cunning plan to rid myself of said cookies, while at the same time being able to tuck into something that, while tasting of cookies, is in fact not a cookie at all – problem solved!
This recipe is a genius fusion of two recipes: mom’s Popcorn Cake and the Chocolate Rice Krispie Cakes that I used to make with my mum as a child – this is recipe will make you feel young again! Truly delicious, it is difficult to believe that this no-bake dessert requires no oven, nor a hob, and uses just four ingredients: butter, marshmallows, cereal and Oreo’s. It’s the recipe lazy cooks dream of!
I used Chocolate Cheerios for my bars, but you can use any type of cereal, or even popcorn – whatever floats your boat!
CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW TO WATCH THE VIDEO RECIPE…
If you’re admiring the grey silicone tools I used while making this recipe, you can buy the Tovolo Flex-Core Spatula and Tovolo Scoop and Spread (my fave and most used tool ever!) from Amazon – the Scoop and Spread is only sold as part of a 4-piece set in the UK and EU.
One piece of advice before we get to the recipe: it’s best to bash up the cookies (for the filling) before you start to make the recipe because once the marshmallows have melted they turn super gooey, super quickly, which makes them really difficult to work with.
Cookies and Cream Cereal Bars
- 1 Bag (10½ oz) Mini Marshmallows
- 5 Cups Chocolate Cheerios (or other Cereal)
- 1 Box (20oz) Oreo Sandwich Cookies
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- Set 16 Oreo cookies aside for the decoration, then place the remaining cookies in sealed bag and bash into pieces with a rolling pin.
- Place the butter and marshmallows in a large microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave on high power for approximately 2 minutes, stirring the mixture after the first minute, until the marshmallow is completely melted and smooth.
- Add the cereal and stir until it is evenly coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Add half of the cereal mixture to a buttered or lined pan. Press firmly into the pan to create the first layer.
- Sprinkle the Oreos pieces over the cereal to create a second layer.
- Add the remaining cereal mixture to make a third layer and press down firmly.
- Decorate with the remaining Oreo cookies, pressing firmly so they sink slightly into the top layer.
- Leave to cool and harden, before cutting into bars.
- Can be stored in an airtight container.